10 Tips to Take the Trauma
Out of Buying a Home
Buying a home can be nerve-wracking and scary, but there are things you can do to lessen the stress and make it more of an enjoyable process. Here are 10 tips to take the anxiety out of buying a home.
- Find a real estate agent that suits you. Home buying is an emotional commitment, not just a financial one.
- Don’t plan to sell or buy your home according to the market. There is actually no right to buy or sell, so if you find a home now that you love jump on it. Changes in the market don’t occur fast enough to make much of a difference in price or interest rates.
- It is natural that you want second or even third opinions on the house you like, but asking for too many will make it harder to make a decision that can only be right for you.
- No house is perfect, so don’t expect it to be. Focus on what is most important for you and let the minor imperfections be secondary.
- Negotiation is all part of the real estate game, but don’t try to bid so low that you will lose the house. Stay realistic about how much you can actually lower the selling price.
- Don’t get so caught up in the inside of the house that you forget about the outside. Noise, location, and amenities are just as important as how big the rooms are.
- Do all the necessary paperwork before trying to find a home. Having your mortgage approved, investigating insurance, and having a time schedule to move should be done before the first house is seen.
- Don’t buy a house directly at the top of your budget. You need to leave room for maintenance and repair costs, even if it is a new home.
- Buying a house, especially for the first time, is a big commitment and there might be some buyer’s remorse but you need to overlook it. Everyone at some time second guesses their decisions so you need to concentrate on the positives and why you loved the house so much.
- Love the house first, and then think of appreciation. Most houses right now are appreciating but the most important thing is to love and feel comfortable in your home.